CCOG for MUC 202B Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- MUC 202B
- Course Title:
- Ensemble II: Jazz Ensemble
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces a solid grounding in the style, performance, and theory of jazz in the 20th century. Covers a variety of jazz styles including but not limited to Latin, blues, ballads, rock and roll, and intersections with classical music traditions. Covers improvisation and techniques for performing in both small and large group settings. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Demonstrate musical skills necessary to perform music at an intermediate level.
- Improve skills in individual part playing.
- Improve skills as improvisers.
- Demonstrate knowledge of different jazz styles and how to express them artistically.
- Balance and blend individual music parts within their section.
- Announce, order, and present a live concert.
Course Activities and Design
- Singing and playing with others
- Performance of patterns and scales
- Performance from memory
- Soloing over songs
- Staging and presentation of songs in sets for performance
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Class attendance
- Rehearsal participation and class discussion
- Playing quizzes
- Final class performance
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Speed drills on patterns and scales
- Study of historical ideas in the application to varying tempi, styles
- Substitutions against turnarounds
- Controlling idea flow in ballads
- Paraphrasing (quoting from the melody being improvised)
- Spacing ideas at fast tempo; repetition and sustaining
- Moving outside the existing key
- Musical organization of a song list for performance
- Stage presence
- Final class performances