CCOG for MUC 202A Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- MUC 202A
- Course Title:
- Ensemble I: Intro to Ensemble
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Involves selection, rehearsals, and performances of twentieth and twenty-first century repertoire. Includes important works of the last century from a performance perspective and a deeper understanding of current trends in contemporary music. Develops skills in improvisation, analysis and interpretation, and communication skills between members. Open to performers of any instrument or voice type. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Understand and demystify contemporary musical languages.
- Demonstrate improved music reading ability.
- Demonstrate beginning to intermediate ensemble performance skills.
- Serve as a resource to support student composers.
- Work together as a flexibly formed musical ensemble.
Course Activities and Design
- Introduction of specific chamber music literature
- Regular rehearsals and preparation of chosen pieces of music
- Presentation of live musical performance
- Creating a concert program
- Writing program notes and bios
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Class attendance
- Rehearsal participation and class discussion
- Playing quizzes
- Final class performance
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Deconstructing parts and scores in contemporary media
- Listening to and discussion of repertoire
- Collaborative skills and communication
- Improvisation as a compositional and performance resource
- Non-traditional instrumental techniques
- Stage setup for mixed ensembles
- Designing a program and creating program notes
- Student composition readings
- Final concert performance