CCOG for MUC 200C Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- MUC 200C
- Course Title:
- Composition III: Multimedia & Multichannel Channel Comp
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Covers advanced electronic music composition. Includes intermediate to advanced applications in sequencing and scoring software, recording techniques as applied to film and multimedia, multichannel composition, 3D audio, and the development of a portfolio of original works. This is the third course in a three-course sequence. Prerequisites: MUC 200B. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Apply techniques from the study of electronic music composition to the production of multimedia projects.
- Produce multimedia compositions using scoring and sequencing software.
- Produce a work that explores the potential offered by sound spatialization techniques.
- Foster the creative exchange of musical ideas through advanced-level compositional skills.
Course Activities and Design
- Aural and visual listening journals
- Weekly or bi-weekly compositional exercises
- Completing a multimedia composition for portfolio
- In-class compositional performances and peer-to-peer critique
- Class concert of final projects
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Class attendance and participation (group work, discussion)
- Assignments and exercises (in-class and homework)
- Final project portfolio
- Project performances including class critique and discussion
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Synthesis, sampling, editing
- Post-production techniques
- Composing for film and video
- Film and video synchronization
- Use of SMPTE time code
- Integration of musical sound, graphics, animation
- Composition for multimedia
- Spatial audio