CCOG for MUC 181 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- MUC 181
- Course Title:
- Music as a Career
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces a broad overview of the music industry. Includes identification of key professionals, organizations, and agencies; how to develop an artist's brand; and how to market and protect oneself as an artist in the music industry. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon the completion of the course students will be able to:
- Identify music markets and industry trends.
- Demonstrate comprehension of the language of basic artistic agreements, and production and label deals.
- Explain contract fee structures, royalties, and advances.
- Define copyright basics.
- Determine social media and marketing strategies for promotion.
- Identify industry opportunities in streaming and mobile apps.
Course Activities and Design
- Group discussion
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Instructor-student conferences
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- distribution channels
- social media
- deals, fees, and royalties
- brand building
- streaming and mobile apps