CCOG for MUC 130C Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- MUC 130C
- Course Title:
- Rhythm Training III
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Recognize and perform rhythmic notation in complex meter signatures.
- Read and write advanced-level rhythmic content in all time signatures.
- Understand and use various clave rhythms in different genres.
- Understand and recognize different polyrhythms and polymeters.
- Explain use of dots in uneven rhythms (such as triple- and quadruple-dotted notes).
- Understand metric modulation.
Contrast rhythmic styles and patterns between traditional African and Indian music.
Course Activities and Design
Material for the course will be presented in a lecture format but also includes question and answer sessions as well as discussion of recorded musical examples.
- In-class exercises
- Homework assignments
- Aural skills training
- Class participation, small group work, and discussion
- Constructive critique and feedback to in-class performances
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participation in class discussion and group activities
- In-class and homework assignments
- Exams and quizzes
- Project and assignment performances
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Irregular hypermeter
- Esoteric rhythmic symbols
- Advanced rhythmic notation
- Irrational dotted notation
- Rhythmic tension and resolution
- Advanced sight reading
- Listening and speaking projects
- Reading & writing projects
- Final exam, Final performance