CCOG for MUC 130B Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- MUC 130B
- Course Title:
- Rhythm Training II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Recognize and perform intermediate-level rhythmic notation in simple and compound meters.
- Read and write basic rhythmic content in 6/8, 9/8, and 12/8 time.
- Identify and understand odd time signatures.
- Apply rhythmic theory concepts when using digital audio workstations (DAW) such as Ableton and sequencers.
Contrast rhythmic styles and patterns between Reggae, Mambo, Bossa Nova, and Cumbia.
- Perform rhythms with an intermediate-level use of rhythmic syncopation.
Course Activities and Design
Material for the course will be presented in a lecture format but also includes question and answer sessions as well as discussion of recorded musical examples.
- In-class exercises
- Homework assignments
- Aural skills training
- Class participation, small group work, and discussion
- Constructive critique and feedback to in-class performances
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participation in class discussion and group activities
- In-class and homework assignments
- Exams and quizzes
- Project and assignment performances
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Complex time signatures
- Intermediate rhythmic notation
- Dotted notation in various time signatures
- Rhythmic displacement
- Intermediate sight reading
- Listening projects
- Reading & writing projects
- Final exam, Final performance