CCOG for MUC 130A Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- MUC 130A
- Course Title:
- Rhythm Training I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Recognize and perform basic rhythmic notation in simple and compound meter.
- Read and write basic rhythmic content in 4/4 and 3/4 time.
- Identify and understand all time signatures.
- Play with a metronome, drum machine, or sequencer.
- Apply rhythmic theory concepts when using digital audio workstations (DAW) such as Ableton Live and sequencers.
Contrast rhythmic styles and patterns between Rock, Jazz, Hip-Hop, and Electronic music.
- Perform using rhythmic syncopation.
- Beam rhythmic notation correctly and effectively.
Course Activities and Design
Material for the course will be presented in a lecture format but also includes question and answer sessions as well as discussion of recorded musical examples.
- In-class exercises
- Homework assignments
- Aural skills training
- Class participation, small group work, and discussion
- Constructive critique and feedback to in-class performances
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participation in class discussion and group activities
- In-class and homework assignments
- Exams and quizzes
- Project and assignment performances
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Time signatures
- Rhythmic symbols
- Rhythmic notation
- Dotted notation
- Syncopated rhythms
- Simple sight reading
- Listening projects
- Reading & writing projects
- Final exam, Final performance