CCOG for MUC 127 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- MUC 127
- Course Title:
- Sound for Picture: Sound Design
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon the completion of the course students will be able to:
- Complete a sound track for a narrative film short delivered at industry-standard levels.
- Demonstrate studio sound competencies: microphone technique, signal routing, and mixing.
- Demonstrate a high level of critical listening skills and competency in industry-standard digital audio workstation (DAW) software.
- Exemplify excellent standards of interpersonal communication skills, professional decorum, and project management.
Students work closely and collaboratively with Video Production II team directors.
Course Activities and Design
Material for the course will be presented in a lecture format but also include laboratory sessions as well as field recording.
- In-class design and editing exercises
- Homework assignments (Mixing, Film Analysis)
- Critical listening (Sound Design Analysis and Critique)
- Sound design projects (Foley, Library Design, ADR)
- Brief in-class quizzes
- Class participation, small group work, and discussion
- Incorporate constructive critique and feedback from project directors
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participation in class discussion and group activities
- In-class and homework assignments
- Exams and quizzes
- Sound design project presentations
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Critical listening
- Sound design theory
- ADR techniques
- Foley walking & recording techniques
- Sound design and music spotting
- Production (on set) sound skills and best practices
- Film sound history
- Final mixing skills
- Film & TV sound equipment
- Film sound software skills