CCOG for MUC 120A Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- MUC 120A
- Course Title:
- Sight Singing and Ear Training I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Recognize, notate and sing at sight rhythmic examples in both simple and compound meters.
- Aurally identify and sing major diatonic intervals (M2-P8) using solfeggio.
- Sing at sight major scale simple diatonic melodies using solfeggio.
- Notate major diatonic intervals (M2-P8) and all major scale key signatures in the treble and bass clefs.
- Demonstrate proper conducting patterns while singing exercises and melodies.
- Demonstrate proper breathing technique for support and concentration when singing exercises and melodies.
Course Activities and Design
Material will be presented in a lecture/lab format. Other educational methods will be used to enhance lectures. Includes the textbook Sightsinging: The Complete Method for Singers, music examples, and internet sites.
- In-class written and aural exercises
- In-class singing exercises and melodies
- Breathing exercises for breath support and concentration
- Homework assignments (chapters from the book, listening)
- Dictation examinations
- Singing examinations
- Class participation, small group work, and discussion
- Providing constructive critique and feedback to in-class participation
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Class participation (group work and discussion)
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Notation in treble and bass clefs
- Rhythm notation in Simple and Compound Meters
- The Major Scale
- Moveable DO
- Major Scale Solfeggio
- Diatonic Intervals (ascending and descending)
- Mnemonic devices for interval recognition
- Conducting (2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 2/2)
- Major scale melodies
- Breath Support, Relaxation, and Concentration
- Final Exams