CCOG for MP 150 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- MP 150
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Electronic Health Records
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Apply basic conceptual framework of a medical charting system to the organization and use of an EHR.
- Navigate, complete data entry and use data of EHR at an entry level capacity.
- Apply relevant ethical, legal, security and policy principles to the use of EHR’s within the healthcare delivery environment.
- Apply relevant safety, confidentiality and policy concepts to the use of EHR’s within the clinical/hospital setting.
- Utilize reporting functions in an EHR to improve patient care and outcomes.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Fulfillment of these goals will be assessed through examinations, a set of laboratory exercises (with associated discussions, quizzes, or other assessment requirements), and completion of hands on computer assignments
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
1. Understand basic concepts and functionality of EHR’s and PMR’s
2. Understand how EHR functionality may differ depending on what environment you work in.
3. Understand basic concepts of recent federal and state policies supporting adoption of EHR’s and Meaningful Use.
4. Understand basic concepts of implementation process
5. Understand Personal Health Records history, use and current adoption in the Portland Metro community.
6. Understand HIPAA and what that means for practices with EHR’s and HIE.
7. Analyze trends in using EHR’s and the data derived from them to improve patient care and population health.
8. Explore how technology influences implementation and use of
9. Apply learning to work environments using and/or implementing EHRs