CCOG for MP 108 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- MP 108
- Course Title:
- Healthcare Career Essentials
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Introduces skills required to become a competent and productive health care professional including effective communication, teamwork, emotional intelligence, and professionalism. Explores various career pathways in today's healthcare industry focusing on educational and licensing requirements, professional responsibilities, and the workplace environment. Introduces job searching, resume writing, and interviewing techniques. Prerequisites: (RD 90 and WR 90) or IRW 90 or equivalent placement. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of ethical and professional parameters of the healthcare profession.
- Demonstrate foundational personal and professional traits and behaviors that are imperative to careers in the healthcare field.
- Communicate effectively with competence, empathy and professionalism in the healthcare setting.
- Use knowledge of careers in the healthcare industry and an understanding of the educational and physical demands of each in order to make informed career decisions.
- Utilize skills to write a resume, search for jobs, and interview for jobs in the healthcare industry.
Course Activities and Design
- Group Activities
- Role Playing
- Guest Speakers
- Discussion Groups
- Job Shadow
- Class Presentations
- Group Interview
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Quizzes on lecture material
- Participation in in-class activities/group activities
- Self-Assessment Career Survey
- Review of article on careers in the health field
- Class presentation of job shadow
- Final Assessment: resume and mock interview
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Careers in health care
- Professionalism in health care
- Development of soft skills
- Requirements for various health care career pathways
- Job searching in the heath care industry
- Interviewing for jobs in the health care industry
- Competition for admission into health care training programs
- Competition for jobs in the health care industry
- Ethical decision making
- Define ones interest in a health care career
- Map educational and career goals
- Develop a strong work ethic
- Refine personal traits and a professional image
- Strengthen interpersonal communication
- Write a resume
- Prepare for and participate in job interview