CCOG for MM 126 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- MM 126
- Course Title:
- Sound for Picture
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Covers sound as exhibited in modern film and television productions of all genres. Includes sound design, foley walking, ADR recording, on-set recording, and soundtrack/score recording. Includes mixing, editing, and software skills training. This course is also offered as MUC 126; a student who enrolls in this course a second time under either designator will be subject to the course repeat policy. Recommended: MUC 223. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Record production audio in both location and closed set environments.
- Identify sound design needs and communicate those needs with a director.
- Walk and record foley effects.
- Spot, record, and mix Automated Dialogue Replacement.
- Edit, mix, and repair production dialogue.
- Spot a film for musical cues, lay temporary scores, and record soundtracks to picture.
- Create, edit, and place sound effects using sound effects libraries.
Course Activities and Design
Material for the course will be presented in a lecture format but also include laboratory sessions as well as field recording.
- In-class design and editing exercises
- Homework assignments (Mixing, Film Analysis)
- Critical listening training (Sound Design Analysis and Critique)
- Sound design projects (Foley, Library Design, ADR)
- Brief in-class quizzes
- Class participation, small group work, and discussion
- Constructive critique and feedback to design projects
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participation in class discussion and group activities
- In-class and homework assignments
- Exams and quizzes
- Sound design project presentations
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Critical listening
- Sound design theory
- ADR techniques
- Foley walking & recording techniques
- Sound design and music spotting
- Production (on set) sound skills and best practices
- Film sound history
- Final mixing skills
- Film & TV sound equipment
- Film sound software skills