CCOG for MM 123 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- MM 123
- Course Title:
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Covers the planning, production, launching and distribution of a podcast. Examines inclusion of diverse voices and perspectives. Explores audio storytelling, audio mixing, interviewing, podcast script writing, research, editing, budgeting, marketing and distribution. Introduces podcast equipment selection, setting up a podcast kit, recording for ear, and recording in-person and remote guests. Prerequisites: MM 112. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Describe audio storytelling and story structure.
- Plan, produce, launch and distribute a podcast.
- Analyze podcast teams and job descriptions.
- Define and compare various podcast themes, genres and styles.
- Record and edit interview and narrative elements in a podcast using a variety of equipment and methods.
Course Activities and Design
- Developing a podcast strategy plan
- Producing a podcast package
- Building skills in interviewing and writing narration
- Developing critical listening skills
- Developing a 3 act story structure
- Researching topics
- Learning how to write to tape
- Writing for Accessibility
- Recording for actualities
- Preparing a recording environment
- Recording and editing a podcast
- Equipment and Software
- Mastering podcast episodes for distribution
- Learning how to promote and market podcasts
- Identifying podcast styles and genres
- Identifying the use of podcasts in various job fields
- Determine solutions for challenging recording environments.
- Recording for ear
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment will be based upon a combination of in-class work, lab activities, reflections, and skills demonstrated in assigned projects.