CCOG for MM 116 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- MM 116
- Course Title:
- DIY Video
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Demonstrate skills in recording video and audio with low-cost gear.
- Edit video with available smartphones, tablets, or computers.
- Use free or low-cost video hosting platforms to share video with others.
- Plan, film, edit, and share video projects.
Course Activities and Design
Smartphones and tablets are everywhere, and telling stories has never been easier. We'll learn best practices for filming, sound, lighting, editing and sharing our work with others.
- Students make numerous videos using low cost, democratized technology (DSLR, phones, GoPro etc.).
- Emphasis is on lots of output. Iteration. Evaluation.
- Effective storytelling using basic camera work, basic lighting, basic sound, basic editing and basic distribution.
- Why this is important – we are the storytellers
- How to tell a story with any camera.
- What shots do you want? Shots that can tell a story – visually!
- Viewer engagement is quality. Any miscue lessens engagement. Why manual controls are important when shooting.
Credibly reflecting the diversity of people, places, and organizations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment will be based upon a combination of in-class work, reflections, examinations, and skills demonstrated in assigned projects. Determination of problem-solving skills, and communication skills may also be included.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Storytelling with b-roll.
- Jerky is bad. How to shoot clips that aren't jerky. Using tripods and stabilizers.
- Sequences of shots that represent actions.
- Storytelling with interviews
- Hard-to-understand sound is bad.
- How to get a good sound. Using microphones.
- Using existing and added lighting to better represent people
- Editing on phones, tablets, and computers
- Adding and trimming clips
- Adding narration and music, mixing
- Sharing projects on Youtube, Vimeo, etc.