CCOG for LAT 264 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- LAT 264
- Course Title:
- Landscape Estimating and Bidding
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Students will conduct a detailed cost estimate and bid proposal for a landscape installation project and a landscape maintenance project. Thorough knowledge of both landscape installation and landscape maintenance methods is essential.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Understand the difference between costs and prices.
- Identify all the cost components in an estimate.
- Understand the importance and the cost of thorough record keeping.
- Identify different pricing strategies for landscape installation, landscape maintenance, and landscape design.
Course Activities and Design
The Instructor prepares hands-on labs before class (e.g. find sites, identifies and packages estimating examples from construction documents, completes example bids for reference). During the lab period, the Instructor teaches landscape estimating and bidding skills using real life examples. During lab, students are assigned and perform 6 increasingly difficult estimating and bidding projects during the course of the term. Student projects are compared, discussed and evaluated during class for peer feedback and then the Instructor evaluates the projects outside of class time - providing a score and feedback on technical accuracy, completeness and professionalism.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written mid-term and final exams
- Estimation projects and bidding records
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Specifications and Working Drawings
- Measuring Area and Volume
- Estimating Materials, Labor, Equipment, and General Conditions
- Profit, Overhead, and Contingency
- Installation and Maintenance Contracts
- Estimating Landscape Maintenance
- Estimating Design Work
- Profit Analysis