CCOG for LAT 242 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- LAT 242
- Course Title:
- Arborist Tree Climbing
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course has a demonstration-based format of technical skills and concepts. Students will practice skill-building under the supervision of the instructor. The majority of required climbing equipment is provided.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Assess trees and worksite scenarios for pre-climb safety and task execution.
- Skillfully configure and operate current industry standard climbing systems.
- Execute safe climbing techniques and skills appropriate to the most common industry tasks.
- Apply knowledge of applicability and safety in gear selection, inspection, and configuration.
- Apply the ISA and ANSI industry standards and best practices appropriately.
- Exhibit persistence, self-motivation and personal responsibility.
- Reflect upon, assess, and identify one's own strengths and limitations.
- Explore, develop, and monitor appropriate professional goals.
Course Activities and Design
Demonstration-based format with skill-building practice by students with instructor supervision.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attendance, punctuality and jobsite preparedness
- Participation and engagement in class discussions and activities
- Completion of assigned field exercises
- Demonstrated competency of field knowledge by skills tests and observations
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Goal Setting
- Decision Making
- Critical thinking
- Potential liabilities to decision making
- Perform a worksite set-up and a pre-climb assessment.
- Recognize and report dangerous site hazards and tree defects.
- Install a climbing line using a throw line.
- Ascend into the tree canopy.
- Advance the climbing line.
- Perform lateral movement to access the outer canopy.
- Work positioning
- Spur climbing
- Gear selection, configuration and inspection
- Practice personal safety by using proper protective gear.
- Apply principles of equipment and tool safety to worksite.