CCOG for LAT 115 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- LAT 115
- Course Title:
- Tool and Equipment Safety, Operation and Maintenance
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Identify and select landscape tools and equipment appropriate for specific tasks in the field.
- Operate equipment safely to achieve project goals.
- Troubleshoot tool and equipment malfunctions.
- Perform routine equipment maintenance to insure proper, safe function of equipment.
- Instruct others on the safe operation and maintenance of landscape equipment.
- gain confidence in using common tools and equipment
Course Activities and Design
The Instructor prepares hands-on labs before class (e.g. order and stage materials, prep site for safe use). During the lab period, the Instructor teaches landscape tool safety and skills through active demonstrations in real time. Students then build practice tool skills with the Instructor's guidance and receive verbal feedback as they work. Students develop a course project - an employee training program for a particular piece or suite of equipment. The reports are submitted and the Instructor evaluates the reports outside of class time - providing a score and feedback on technical accuracy, completeness and professionalism.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Student learning will be assessed by the following:
1) midterm exam - partially performance based
2) final exam - partially performance based
3) weekly skills assessment in lab - equipment operation and maintenance
4) course project - develop an employee training program for a particular piece or suite of equipment
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Selecting the right tools and equipment for the task at hand.
Operating equipment safely.
Operating equipment efficiently and competently.
Troubleshooting equipment malfunctions.
Tool and equipment care and maintenance.