CCOG for LAT 111 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- LAT 111
- Course Title:
- Landscape Construction Practices
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Students will be completing 4-5 landscape consturction projects in outdoor labs.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Safely operate power equipment and tools used on the industry.
- Identify, by name and function, hand tools and hardware typically used in the landscape industry.
- Understand construction techniques used in the installation of fencing, retaining walls, arbors, concrete walks, brick and stone paving, and landscape edging.
- Learn to work as a crew to complete projects to specifications.
Course Activities and Design
The Instructor prepares hands-on labs before class (e.g. find sites, order and stage materials, prep site). During the lab period, the Instructor teaches landscape construction skills through active demonstrations in real time. Students then build construction projects with the Instructor's guidance and receive verbal feedback as they work. Students monitor and record the development of the project (written and with photographs). Students prepare reports on the projects detailing installation methods (including specifications), material and equipment needed as well as sources for materials (vendors) and prices. The reports are submitted and the Instructor evaluates the reports outside of class time - providing a score and feedback on technical accuracy, completeness and professionalism.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written mid-term and final exams.
- Evaluation of crew construction projects
- Completion of performance competencies.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Tractor and Chainsaw Operation
- Power Tool Usage
- Materials and Fastener Identification and Usage
- Wooden Decks
- Retaining Walls
- Water Features