CCOG for LAT 102 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- LAT 102
- Course Title:
- Plant Establishment and Maintenance
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Apply knowledge of horticultural techniques in selecting, storing, planting, watering and maintaining plants for the landscape.
- Use proper techniques to prune, fertilize, mulch, and transplant landscape plants.
- Understand and apply basic principles of integrated pest management.
- Follow industry standards for the installation, establishment, and management of landscape plants.
Course Activities and Design
The Instructor prepares hands-on labs before class (e.g. find sites, order and stage materials, prep site). During the lab period, the Instructor teaches plant establishment skills by guiding students through real-world planting projects, pruning projects, maintenance projects, etc. The instructor demonstrates landscape installation techniques and provides guidance in the installation process. Students then complete the landscape projects with the instructor’s guidance and verbal feedback.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Student learning will be assessed by the following:
1) midterm exam - partially performance based
2) final exam - partially performance based
3) weekly skills assessment in lab - to demonstrate understanding of basic plant establishment and management skills
4) course project
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Proper plant selection.
Plant transportation and job site staging.
Planting techniques for all various types of plants production types.
Plant management (pruning, water management, fertilizing, IPM)