CCOG for HIM 281 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- HIM 281
- Course Title:
- Data Management and Analysis
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Describe analytics and decision support, including the capabilities of dashboards and data capture tools.
- Utilize enterprise-wide information assets in support of organizational strategies and objectives.
- Explain concepts of database architecture and design.
- Differentiate the roles and responsibilities of various providers and disciplines to support documentation requirements throughout the continuum of healthcare.
- Validate the reliability and accuracy of secondary data sources.
- Explain common research methodologies and why they are used in healthcare.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Answer theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Develop a plan for a registry to collect medical data.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
To complete the outcomes the student must have skills and knowledge in:
- communication techniques
- information technologies
- health record content
- state, federal, and accreditation documentation requirements
- healthcare facility organization
- critical thinking
- registries and indices
- data quality attributes
- data security
- health record analysis
- medical vocabularies
- data dictionaries
- data collection tools