CCOG for HIM 276 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- HIM 276
- Course Title:
- Coding Capstone
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Includes the application of all ICD and CPT code systems in the appropriate settings. Uses case-summary coding exercises for enhanced learning. Prerequisites: HIM 270, HIM 273, HIM 275.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Apply diagnosis and procedure codes following current guidelines.
- Evaluate the accuracy of diagnostic and procedural coding.
- Apply diagnostic and procedural groupings.
- Evaluate the accuracy of diagnostic and procedural groupings.
- Determine accuracy of computer assisted coding assignment and recommend corrective action.
- Create physician queries to resolve data and coding discrepancies.
- Utilize software in the completion of coding tasks.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Successful completion of assignments as outlined on the lab schedule.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Competencies and skills:
- Critical thinking skills
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy and physiology
- Health record content
- Laboratory testing
- Medical imaging
- ICD Diagnostic and Procedural Coding
- CPT Coding