CCOG for HIM 273 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- HIM 273
- Course Title:
- ICD Diagnosis Coding
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
- Apply diagnostic codes according to current guidelines.
- Apply current regulations and established guidelines in clinical classification systems.
- Identify accuracy of diagnostic coding in a patient's health record.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Answer theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Demonstrate ability to accurately code diagnostic statements using proper coding conventions and rules.
- Assess coding accuracy of appropriate systems in a variety of settings using clinical information found in the health record.
Competencies and Skills :
To complete the outcomes in this course students must have skills in:
- Health record content
- Anatomy and physiology
- Medical laboratory tests and imaging procedures
- Federal and state regulations for health records
- Reimbursement systems
- Joint Commission documentation standards
- Medical terminology