CCOG for HIM 270 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- HIM 270
- Course Title:
- ICD Procedure Coding
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Apply inpatient procedure codes following current guidelines.
- Identify accuracy of procedural coding in a patient's health record.
- Apply current regulations and established guidelines in clinical classification systems.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with outer students:
- Answer theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Demonstrate ability to accurately code procedural statements using proper coding conventions and rules.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
To complete the outcomes in this course students must have skills in:
- Health record content
- Anatomy and physiology
- Medical laboratory tests and imaging procedures
- Reimbursement systems
- Federal and state regulations for health records
- Joint Commission documentation standards
- Medical terminology