Course Content and Outcomes Guide for HE 112 Effective Summer 2021
- Course Number:
- HE 112
- Course Title:
- Standard First Aid and Emergency Care
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Addendum to Course Description
This course will cover major aspects of first aid with regard to emergency care and preventative measures. The student will learn the proper methods and procedures for applying CPR in given emergency situations.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Apply working knowledge of AED technology.
- Evaluate first aid/CPR scenarios and apply appropriate first aid/CPR techniques to those scenarios.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written examination
- Practical skill demonstration
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Recognize and use a three step plan of action in an emergency
- Assess appropriate action in a variety of adult, child and infant emergency situations.
- Demonstrate first aid skills in a variety of adult, child and infant emergency situations.
- Demonstrate appropriate and correct usage of AED technology.
- Communication skills: Oral and written communication.
THEMES, CONCEPTS, IDEAS
- Recognize and provide care for various types of respiratory and cardiac emergencies for adult, child and infant.
- Provide care for shock and heart attack
- Provide general care for wounds
- Recognize burn emergencies and provide care
- Understand and provide care for heat and cold emergencies.
- Recognize and provide care for sudden illness situations.
- Recognize and provide care for bone and joint injuries.
- Understand appropriate use of AED technology.