CCOG for FP 133 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- FP 133
- Course Title:
- Wildland Firefighter
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course meets the academic and performance requirements for NWCG S-130 Firefighter Training with a field exercise, S-190 Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior and L-180 Human Factors on the Fireline.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Apply basic principles and procedures for wildland firefighting and meet academic requirements for S-130 Firefighting Training.
- Apply an understanding of wildland fire behavior and meet academic requirements for S-190 Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior.
- Identify the human factors that can affect firefighting activities on the fireline and meet academic requirements for L-180 Human Factors on the Fireline.
- Demonstrate the ability to construct fireline to required standards using various methods, tools and equipment, and techniques.
Assist students in attaining an NWCG Incident Qualification Card (Red Card) for Firefighter Type 2 level.
Course Activities and Design
The content of the course will be presented in lecture, classroom discussion, demonstration, and field exercises, as appropriate. Additional instruction methodology may include guest speaker, research papers, professional publication reviews, written and oral reports, and class presentations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Methods of assessment may include one or more of the following:
- Various individual and/or group skill building activities such as role-playing scenario based problem solving activities, case studies, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
- Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of other.
- Quizzes and exams composed of objective questions and concepts.
- Individual and /or team projects/s which require integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
- Performance assessment.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) training courses:
S-130 Firefighter Training with field exercise
S-190 Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior
L-180 Human Factors on the Fireline