CCOG for ESOL 103A Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- ESOL 103A
- Course Title:
- Integrated Skills High Beginner 1
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Develops high-beginning English reading, writing, speaking and listening skills for international students. Promotes the process of combining knowledge, skills, and problem-solving strategies. Prerequisites: ESOL placement test within the past 12 months OR instructor permission.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Read, understand, and respond to level-appropriate text.
- Write paragraphs of eight to ten simple sentences.
- Speak so others can understand using simple sentences in the past, present, and future.
- Listen actively to follow a series of basic oral directions.
- Use an understanding of English to participate in level-appropriate narratives and conversations in the past, present and future.
- Arrive in class on time with the necessary materials, exhibit appropriate classroom behavior, and complete homework assignments.
- Use language lab software, the internet, voice-mail, e-mail and word-processing to continually develop English language skills.
Course Activities and Design
Short lectures and explanations
- Readings appropriate to the level
- One-paragraph writing assignments
- Listening activities and exercises
- Short conversation practice
- Pronunciation activities and exercises
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Short quizzes, including spelling tests
- Comprehensive tests
- In class writing assignments
- Informal oral assessment
- Completion of homework
- In class attendance and participation
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Speaking and pronunciation
- Study Skills
- American culture