CCOG for ESOL 101B Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- ESOL 101B
- Course Title:
- Integrated Skills Low Beginner 2
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Continues developing low-beginning English reading, writing, speaking and listening skills for international students. Promotes the process of combining knowledge, skills, and problem-solving strategies. Prerequisites: ESOL 101A and ESOL placement test within the past 12 months OR instructor permission.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to
- Read, understand, and respond to level-appropriate text.
- Write three to five simple sentences with minimal errors.
- Manage a wider variety of basic interactions, in highly predictable settings using present tenses.
- Arrive in class on time with the necessary materials, exhibit appropriate classroom behavior, complete homework assignments, and use voice mail to inform instructor of absences.
- Improve use of language lab software, the internet and keyboarding skills learned in ESOL 101A to continually develop English language skills.
Course Activities and Design
- Short lectures and explanations
- Readings appropriate to the level
- Sentence-level writing assignments
- Listening activities and exercises
- Dialog and information exchange
- Pronunciation activities and exercises
- Pair and group work
- Written and oral grammar practice
- Exercises and activities using the internet and language learning software
- Quizzes and tests
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Short quizzes, including spelling tests
- Comprehensive tests
- In class writing assignments
- Informal oral assessment
- Completion of homework
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Speaking and pronunciation
- Study Skills
- American culture