CCOG for EPG 105 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- EPG 105
- Course Title:
- Generator Application and Installation
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Explain safety factors affecting generator installation.
- Accurately determine site load and generator requirements.
- Identify potential issues that can arise from improper generator installation.
- Utilize original equipment manufacturer (OEM) resources to obtain maintenance and installation guidelines.
- Identify unique system requirements for emergency, standby, and prime power applications.
- Perform basic maintenance on the alternator, prime mover, and sub-systems.
Course Activities and Design
This is an outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes videos, assignments, demonstrations, lectures, and hands on learning. The course will be taught using industry electric power generation equipment and curriculum.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Multiple choice, true/false, fill in the blank, short answer and essay testing
- Hands-on practical testing
- Daily lab assignments and term projects
- Work ethic
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
learn factors effecting generator installation
learn proper mounting techniques
learn proper ventilation techniques
learn proper air intake methods
learn proper cooling techniques
learn proper exhausting methods
learn proper fuel storage methods
learn methods of vibration dampening
learn methods of sound suppression
learn methods of prime mover starting
learn the importance of equipment grounding
learn the importance of system grounding
learn the methods for determining phase rotation
learn how to determine load requirements
learn methods for calculating generator sizing
learn how to use OEM resources for finding literature and specifications regarding installation and maintenance
learn the requirements of a prime power application
learn the requirements of a standby power application
learn the requirements of an emergency power application
learn the principles of cogeneration