CCOG for EPG 102 Winter 2024
- Course Number:
- EPG 102
- Course Title:
- AC/DC Theory
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Explain the concepts of direct and alternating current and their similarities and differences.
- Demonstrate proficiency in utilizing core electrical laws and formulas.
- Demonstrate comprehension of magnetism and explain its crucial role in power generation.
- Identify symbols related to electrical components.
- Construct and interpret sinusoidal wave diagrams.
- Connect, read, and accurately configure an oscilloscope.
Course Activities and Design
This is an outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes videos, assignments, demonstrations, lectures, and hands on learning. This course will be taught using industry electric power generation equipment and curriculum.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Multiple choice, true/false, fill in the blank, short answer and essay testing
- Hands-on practical testing
- Daily lab assignments and term projects
- Work ethic
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
learn electrical theory
learn about Michael Faraday
learn magnetism as it relates to current induction
learn about the right hand rule
learn the terms voltage, current, resistance, and watts
learn about conductors, semi-conductors, and insulators
learn about diodes, capacitors, resisters, potentiometers, transistors, SCR's, and varistors
learn about conductor sizing and resistance values
learn about parallel and series circuits
learn direct current principles
learn ohms law
learn watts law
learn alternating current
learn about phasor diagrams
learn about sinusoidal wave diagrams
learn how to use an oscilloscope
learn the terms inductance, capacitance, impedance, and power factor
learn the effects of resistance on a circuit
learn the meaning of being in phase
learn the effects of inductance on a circuit
learn the meaning of lagging current
learn the effects of capacitance on a circuit
learn about the meaning of leading current
learn about power factor correction
learn the terms KW, KVA, and KVAR
learn how to calculate the above mentioned values using electrical formulas