CCOG for EPG 101 Winter 2024
- Course Number:
- EPG 101
- Course Title:
- Electrical Industry Basic Tooling and Safety
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate correct and safe handling of common tooling used in a heavy equipment shop.
- Identify appropriate tooling for servicing the prime mover and generator.
- Utilize and interpret safety data sheets (SDS).
- Identify potential hazards in a worksite.
- Classify the appropriate fire extinguishers for various applications.
- Determine the proper type of personnel protective equipment (PPE) required for electrical work.
Course Activities and Design
This is an outcome based course utilizing a lecture format. This course includes videos, assignments, demonstrations, lectures, and hands on learning. This course will be taught using industry electric power generation equipment and curriculum.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Multiple choice, true/false, fill in the blank, short answer and essay testing
- Hands-on practical testing
- Daily lab assignments and term projects
- Work ethic
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
learn tooling needed for generator repair and testing
learn tooling needed for prime mover repair and testing
learn safe lifting practices
learn how to judge the weight of an item before lifting
learn healthy shop housekeeping
learn how to identify the hazards of basic shop supplies
learn SDS sheets and how to interpret them
learn proper selection and maintenance of fire extinguishers
learn the specific hazards associated with electricity
learn the dangers of electrocution
learn about electrical grounding
learn about arc flash
learn the necessary PPE required