CCOG for ENGR 262 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- ENGR 262
- Course Title:
- Manufacturing Processes
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Discussion subjects include the manufacturing system and its operating principles, casting, forming, material removal, welding, quality control, and advanced manufacturing processes, in a lecture/lab environment.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Recommend appropriate manufacturing processes when provided a set of functional requirements and product development constraints.
- Recommend cost-effective material options based upon net part shape, operating environment, cost constraints.
- Develop a mathematical or empirical model of basic parts and assemblies that includes manufacturing considerations and documentation.
- Ascertain product and process quality levels through the use of precision measurement tools and statistical quality control.
- Describe how to mitigate production problems using risk management and root cause analysis tools.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Student performance measurements are based on typical business/industry performance standards. They are grouped into performance competencies (specific skills) and knowledge competencies (understanding specific subjects). The various areas of study during the course will be evaluated by a variety of activities. Typical of those activities are the following:
homework assignments, participation in individual or team structured problem exercises, and lab exercises. The emphasis will be to provide introduction to the appropriate areas of study presented/discussed during the class and listed in the course content guide.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Overview of Manufacturing
1. What is Manufacturing?
2. Examples of Manufactured Products
3. Manufacturing Production Systems
4. Manufacturing Economics
Manufacturing Material Attributes
1. Properties of Materials for Manufacturing
2. Dimensioning, Tolerance, Measurement
Shape Forming Processes
1. Metal Casting
2. Plastics Casting
4. Composite Shaping
Metal Shaping Processes
1. Bulk Metal Shaping
2. Sheetmetal Shaping
Material Removal Processes
2. Cutting Tools
3. Grinding and Abrasives
4. Non-traditional Machining
Property Enhancement Processes
1. Heat Treatment
2. Surface Treatment Processes
Joining and Assembly Processes
2. Brazing and Soldering
3. Mechanical Assembly and Fasteners
Processing of Integrated Circuits (IC)
1. Silicon Processing
3. Deposition Processes
4. Etching Processes
5. Implantation Processes
6. IC packaging
Measurement and Quality Assurance
1. Measurement and Inspection
2. Nondestructive Inspection and Testing
3. Quality Control and Quality Assurance
4. Quality Improvement