CCOG for ELT 210 Winter 2024
- Course Number:
- ELT 210
- Course Title:
- Advanced Residential Electrical Wiring
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Display and use an advanced knowledge of wiring methods such as MC Cable, EMT, Rigid Conduit, PVC Underground Conduit, and underground wiring when wiring in a residential setting.
- Display an advanced proficiency in the use of the most common hand and power tools used in residential wiring.
- Display and use advanced knowledge of complex switching devices and switching circuits when wiring in a residential setting.
- Work safely per the NEC code and OSHA requirements when wiring in a residential setting.
Course Activities and Design
The majority of the class will with be Lecture supported by demonstration of advanced wiring methods.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment will be accomplished through the completion of specific wiring projects applicable to advanced Residential wiring.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Discuss and emphasize importance of working safely in an electrical environment.
- Relate basic electrical theories and codes to activities in class.
- Review basic electrical terminology of residential wiring.
- Review uses and names of common hand and power tools used in electrical work.
- Review wire sizes and amperage as they relate to each other.
- Discuss electrical and building codes related to residential wiring.
- Identify different types of electrical devices and demonstrate proper use.
- Identify different types of wire commonly used in a house wiring.
- Demonstrate skills of proper wiring techniques.
- Demonstrate understanding of basic types of conduit for residential application.
- Demonstrate basic skill of bending EMT conduit.
- Draw wiring diagrams for common circuit combinations around the house.
- Incorporate the use of meters and testing equipment for troubleshooting electrical circuits.
- Discuss the possible effects improper wiring in Residences
- Provide an understanding and appreciation of building codes, electrical codes, licensing laws, and electrical permitting processes.