CCOG for ECE 236 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- ECE 236
- Course Title:
- Language and Literacy in Early Childhood Education
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Covers the design and usage of a variety of language and literacy development activities with young children. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Identify and define developmental stages in language acquisition.
- Explain how children use language.
- Identify ways in which a teacher models language.
- Identify the educational values of literature for young children.
Course Activities and Design
This course includes lecture discussion, demonstrations, hands-on experiences, audio-visual materials, and a variety of guest
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Identify and explain major groups of language acquisition theories.
- Assess children's books for age appropriateness.
- Practice presenting children's literature using a variety of methods.