CCOG for ECE 232 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- ECE 232
- Course Title:
- Math and Science for Young Children
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Explores strategies to actively engage infants through preschool-age children in science and math concepts. Covers planning experiences that are meaningful, challenging, developmentally and culturally appropriate for indoor and outdoor classrooms. Connects everyday knowledge and skills to math and science. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Describe math and science content relevant to children ages infancy through preschool.
- Develop math curriculum which includes integrating the knowledge of social, emotional, physical, cognitive, language development, developmentally, and culturally appropriate pedagogy.
- Develop and implement developmentally appropriate and culturally relevant plans for children infancy through preschool.
Course Activities and Design
Individual reading, PowerPoint presentations, videos, case study, small and large groups, in-class presentations online activity plans
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Reflective Teaching
- Constructivist theory
- Mathematical and science content for infants through preschool age
- Identify community and online resources for math and science
- Define developmentally and culturally appropriate
- Research-based teaching for mathematical and scientific concepts, methods, and language for indoor and outdoor classrooms.
- Learning invitations ("provocations)
- Develop children’s curiosity, imagination, flexibility, inventiveness, and persistence
- Prepares children to ask questions, conduct investigations, collect data, and look for answers
- Integrate knowledge of social, emotional, physical, cognitive, language development.
- Documenting children's learning link to math and science concepts, methods and language