CCOG for ECE 221 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- ECE 221
- Course Title:
- Observation and Guidance II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Students must have access to a consistent group of children in a licensed early learning program with infants, toddlers, or preschool age children (infants – 6 years) for one hour a week, in order to complete required observation assignments.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Explain the skills and strategies needed to make accurate and objective observations of groups of children based on child development principles.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the connection between observations and appropriate guidance, management, and planning for groups of children.
- Use standard assessment tools commonly used in the field of early childhood education in order to address challenging behaviors and issues in early learning environments.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
· Participate in weekly large and small group discussions.
· Complete required observation and guidance assignments and personal reflection statements.
· Complete an integrative observation assignment utilizing observation techniques to conduct a case study of a child (age 0 – 6).
· Complete an integrative observation assignment utilizing observation techniques to address or solve a group management issue or problem.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire skills and abilities through practice relating to:
· Event samples, checklists, and rating scales.
· Record keeping and portfolio building.
· Group management techniques.
· Indirect guidance and the relationship between children’s behavior and the environment.
· Communication of information derived from observations and portfolios to parents, staff, community members.
· Relationships between personal belief systems, children’s behavior, and use of guidance techniques.
· Integration of observations techniques into the Observe, Plan, Do, Reflect, Revise process.