CCOG for ECE 195 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- ECE 195
- Course Title:
- Boys in Early Childhood Education
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Articulate an understanding of the social and educational needs of boys in early education programs.
- Identify the teacher's impact on boys' social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development.
- Create developmentally and culturally appropriate environments and learning experiences for boys in the classroom.
- Understand the importance of rough and tumble play and superhero play.
- Advocate for quality early education for boys.
Course Activities and Design
The course will include large group lecture, small group discussions, Power Points, videos, self-assessment, reflection writing and final presentation focusing on advocacy or newsletter to parents.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Historical understanding of boys in the United States
Impact of the educational systems on boys social, emotional, cognitive and physical development
Early education teacher’s views and behaviors towards boys in the classroom
Identify developmentally and culturally appropriate strategies to incorporate in the classroom environment and curriculum for boys.
Discuss way to advocate for boys in early education programs.