CCOG for ECE 177 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- ECE 177
- Course Title:
- Tiny to Tall: Making Mixed Age Groupings Work
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This course is designed to enhance the knowledge base of our degree-seeking students (who are required to take 6 – 10 credits of elective credit) while also providing an accessible, interesting, and relevant course to students who are seeking to meet their professional development requirements and/or who might have limited experience in the college setting.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
Articulate the developmental and programmatic benefits of mixed age groupings.
Articulate plans for creating quality programs for mixed-age groups.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attend and actively participate in class and small group activities.
- Complete written observations and assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Overview of developmental needs and characteristics from infancy through school age.
- Developmental benefits and challenges of mixed age groups.
- Programmatic benefits and challenges of mixed age groups.
- Addressing challenges and barriers.
- Involving families in planning and maintaining mixed age classrooms and environments.
- Specific curricular and environmental considerations (regulatory) and characteristics (equipment, materials, and activities) of mixed age programs.