CCOG for ECE 135 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- ECE 135
- Course Title:
- Practicum 3 in Early Childhood Education
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Builds on previous practicum and seminar courses to implement advanced level skills to work with children ages 6 weeks to 6 years of age in a group setting. Develops and facilitates an overall quality learning environment including the use of developmentally and culturally appropriate methods, curriculum, evaluation and design. Approved practicum application required. Prerequisites: ECE 134, ECE 130B, and (ECE 122I or 123P), and department permission, (WR 115 and RD 115) or IRW 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement. Corequisites: ECE 130C.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Assess the environment, developmental needs of children, curriculum and instructional strategies utilizing observations and evidence-based tools.
- Demonstrate professional and ethical communication and collaboration with families, children and colleagues to maintain reciprocal relationships.
- Design, lead, and evaluate developmentally and culturally relevant curriculum and environments for individual and groups of children using knowledge of appropriate early learning standards, child development and other resources.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participate in Mid-term and Final conferences with the mentoring team (Supervising Faculty and Mentor Lead Classroom Teacher) to review progress.
- Assessed on classroom practices by Mentor Teachers and Supervising Faculty throughout the term.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire and demonstrate skills and abilities relating to the following Associate Standards for Early Childhood Professional Preparation:
- Promoting Child Development and Learning
- Building Family and Community Relationships
- Observing, Documenting, and Assessing to Support Young Children and Families
- Teaching and Learning
- Becoming a Professional