CCOG for ECE 134 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- ECE 134
- Course Title:
- Practicum 2 in Early Childhood Education
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Builds on previous practicum and seminar courses to deepen the understanding of quality programing, and implement intermediate level skills to work with children ages birth - 6 years of age in a group setting. Includes the use of culturally and developmentally appropriate methods to support the overall learning environment and curriculum. Approved practicum application required. Prerequisites: ECE 133, ECE 130A, (ECE 122I or ECE 123P), and HEC 201, and department permission, (WR 115 and RD 115) or IRW 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement. Corequisites: ECE 130B.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Utilize observations, documentation, and other assessment tools to practice creating and leading healthy, culturally relevant, and developmentally appropriate curriculum and learning environments for young children.
- Implement new strategies based on reflection of personal caregiving and teaching practices in order to promote positive outcomes for each child.
- Develop and promote collaborative relationships with young children and families in early childhood settings utilizing culturally inclusive prosocial strategies.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participate in Mid-term and Final conferences with the mentoring team (Supervising Faculty and Mentor Lead Classroom Teacher) to review progress.
- Assessed on classroom practices by Mentor Teachers and Supervising Faculty throughout the term.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire skills and abilities through practice in the lab setting relating to:
- Personal and Professional Practice
- Parent, Family, and Community Involvement
- Relationships with Children
- Observation and Guidance
- Environment and Curriculum
- Management and Supervision.