CCOG for ECE 133 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- ECE 133
- Course Title:
- Practicum 1 in Early Childhood Education
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Acquires beginning practical skills for working with children ages birth to 6 years of age in a group setting. Includes the use of developmentally appropriate methods in recognizing and supporting safe, healthy, responsive environments and curriculum. Approved practicum application required. Prerequisites: ECE 120, ECE 121, ECE 124, and department permission, (WR 115 and RD 115) or IRW 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement. Corequisites: ECE 130A.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Plan and facilitate quality routines, transitions, and interactions with children at a beginning level based on the development and interests of children.
- Collaborate with teachers, parents and children to implement a culturally responsive program.
- Build strong relationships with children, colleagues and peers.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participate in Mid-term and Final conferences with the mentoring team (Supervising Faculty and Mentor Teacher) to review progress.
- Assessed on classroom practices by Mentor Teachers and Supervising Faculty throughout the term.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire skills and abilities through practice in the lab setting relating to:
- Personal and Professional Practice
- Parent, Family, and Community Involvement
- Relationships with Children
- Observation and Guidance
- Environment and Curriculum
- Management and Supervision.