CCOG for ECE 124 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- ECE 124
- Course Title:
- Multicultural Practices: Exploring Our Views
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This class is intended to encourage students to reflect on their experiences, belief systems, and values and the impact those experiences, values, and beliefs have on practice with children, families and communities.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Identify influences on self-identity, including culture, race, language, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical ability, and class.
- Recognize the identities of others as the product of cultural, linguistic, gender, social, and class influences and respond in an appropriate manner.
- Assess cultural, linguistic, and class-related experiences and needs of early education and human service programs.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attend and actively participate in class and small group activities.
- Complete required journal entries and autobiographical statements.
- Complete written assignments as required.
- Complete in-class presentations as required.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire knowledge, skills, and abilities relating to:
- Identification of concepts such as oppression, internalized oppression, white privilege, stereotypes and biases.
- Identity development and the affects of internalized oppression and white privilege on identity.
- Personal identities of race, cultural, language, gender identity and expression, ableism, sexual orientation, and class.
- The variety of ways institutions oppress individuals based on culture, language, gender, ableism, and classism in the United States.
- Personal experiences with oppression as well as the oppression of other identity groups.