CCOG for ECE 121 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- ECE 121
- Course Title:
- Observation and Guidance I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
Students must have access to infants, toddlers, or young children (six weeks to 6 years) in order to complete observation assignments.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Identify guidance and conflict resolution strategies for individual and groups of children based on proven theory and practices.
- Identify environmental, developmental, and cultural factors that can impact children’s behaviors.
- Use objectively written observations to assess individual development of young children.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participate in weekly large and small group discussions.
- Complete required observation and guidance assignments and personal reflection statements.
- Complete service learning hours or book/article reports.
- Complete a case study of a child (age 0 – 6) using observation techniques covered in class.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Students will acquire skills and abilities through practice relating to:
- Observer objectivity.
- Running Records.
- Relationships between development and guidance
- A Pro-Social Environment
- Positive Communication
- Positive Action
- Praise vs. encouragement
- Effective guidance.