CCOG for DST 213 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- DST 213
- Course Title:
- Automatic Transfer Switches
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this course students should be able to:
- Explain the function and styles of transfer switches.
- Describe the different features, parameters, and accessories of both ATC and MX controllers.
- Describe the operation of an automatic transfer switch.
- Identify available communications per controller.
- Navigate a controller menu structure.
- Program controller settings per customer requirements.
- Explain/perform bypass isolation for MX and ATC series switches.
- Identify main components of an automatic transfer switch (ATS).
- Perform internal inspection of components.
- Determine component health based upon an inspection.
- Assess different features of contactor and breaker-based switches.
Course Activities and Design
This is an outcome-based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes videos, assignments, demonstrations, lectures, and hands on learning. The course will be taught using Caterpillar equipment and curriculum.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Multiple choice, true/false, fill in the blank, short answer and essay testing
- Hands-on practical testing
- Daily lab assignments as defined by Caterpillar Curriculum / weekly and term projects
- Work ethics
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Learn various styles of ATS's (automatic transfer switches)
Learn various styles of controllers used on ATS's
Learn standard parameters for different controllers
Learn features of Caterpillar ATS controllers
Learn the pros/cons of different ATS controllers
Learn the pros/cons of different ATS's
Learn various options that are available for ATS controllers
Learn communication options for the ATS controllers
Learn the limitations of different communication protocols
Learn ATC programming
Learn MX programming
Learn how to navigate MX and ATC style controllers
Learn how to view, diagnose, and reset faults through the controllers
Learn how to program various time delay settings on ATS's
Learn ATC bypass isolation transfer switches
Learn MX bypass isolation transfer switches
Learn contact style ATS features
Learn breaker pair style ATS features
Learn how to perform internal inspections on various ATS's
Learn how to perform preventative maintenance on various ATS's
Learn how to perform load/no load tests
Learn how to perform troubleshooting procedures on ATS's
Learn how to change exerciser settings