CCOG for DST 212 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- DST 212
- Course Title:
- Voltage Regulation
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of the course students should be able to:
- Explain safety considerations when working on a generator.
- Explain the function and operation of an automatic voltage regulator.
- Compare advantages and disadvantages of different power inputs to the voltage regulator.
- Explain voltage regulator settings.
- Explain variables which need to be addressed when changing a voltage regulator.
- Compare voltage regulators' capabilities and benefits.
- Interpret voltage regulator schematics and drawings.
- Access voltage regulator service and information resources.
- Install and adjust voltage regulators for proper operation.
- Tune the voltage regulator to respond within the allowable limits.
Course Activities and Design
This is an outcome-based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes videos, assignments, demonstrations, lectures, and hands on learning. The course will be taught using Caterpillar equipment and curriculum.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
• Multiple choice, true/false, fill in the blank, short answer and essay testing
• Hands-on practical testing
• Daily lab assignments as defined by Caterpillar Curriculum / weekly and term projects
• Work ethics
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Learn safety hazards with voltage regulators
Learn Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) associated with electrical safety
Learn zero voltage verification
Learn lockout procedure
Learn warning and danger label identification
Learn principles of voltage regulation
Learn basic automatic voltage regulation operations
Learn the responsibility of the voltage regulation in the system
Learn direct excited systems
Learn brush-less systems
Learn automatic voltage regulator power sourcing
Learn self excited systems
Learn AREP (Aux winding/internally excited)
Learn sensing methods
Learn V/HZ profiles
Learn Knee Frequency
Learn LAM (load acceptance module)
Learn AVR (automatic voltage regulator) gain settings
Learn AVR droop settings
Learn AVR wiring
Learn AVR tuning
Learn specific Caterpillar application AVR to include: