CCOG for DST 210 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- DST 210
- Course Title:
- Generators and EPG Calculations
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course the student should be able to:
- Describe each unique part of Caterpillar's complete power generation package.
- Identify and explain the operating principles of generator components and the theories of their operation.
- Evaluate generator component health by performing a variety of diagnostic tests.
- Demonstrate the ability to test generators using a load bank and interpret the results of the test.
Course Activities and Design
This is an outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes videos, assignments, demonstrations, lectures, and hands on learning. This course will be taught using Caterpillar electric power generation equipment and curriculum.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Multiple choice, true/false, fill in the blank, short answer and essay testing
- Hands-on practical testing
- Daily lab assignments and term projects
- Work ethic
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Learn about Caterpillar supported generators
- Learn to identify generator components and their function
- Learn about closed loop voltage regulation
- Learn wiring output configurations
- Learn how to test and maintain generators
- Learn about the different types of loads
- Learn the effects of different loads on the generator and engine
- Learn about Power Factor
- Learn about motor starting and non-linear loads
- Learn about hazards unique to the electrical industry
- Learn to use protective gear and follow safe industry practices
- Learn how to use a load bank for generator testing