CCOG for DST 116 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- DST 116
- Course Title:
- Fundamentals of Transmissions and Torque Converters
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course student will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic powertrain components and the theory of operation for Caterpillar couplings and transmissions.
- Disassemble and assemble torque converters, torque divider, manual transmission, and power-shift transmissions.
Course Activities and Design
This is an outcome-based course utilizing a lecture / lab format. This course includes videos, assignments, demonstrations, lectures, and hands on learning.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
· Multiple choice, true/false, fill in the blank, short answer and essay testing
· Hands-on practical testing
· Daily lab assignments as defined by Caterpillar Curriculum / weekly and term projects
· Work ethics
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Introduction to Power Train.
§ Learn Power Train Main Components and Theory of Operation.
§ Learn Power Transfer Methods.
§ Learn Gears and Gear Sets.
§ Learn about Flywheel Clutches.
§ Learn about Torque Converters and Torque Dividers.
§ Learn Manual Shift Transmissions.
§ Learn Power Shift Transmissions.
§ Learn power shift transmission Control Systems.
§ Learn and practice personal safety.
§ Learn and practice facility safety.
§ Learn and practice equipment safety. Demonstrate an understanding of basic power train components and theory of operation.
§ Identify the components and explain the operation of flywheel clutches.
§ Identify the components and explain the operation of torque converters and torque dividers.
§ Identify the components and explain the operation of manual transmissions.
§ Identify the components and explain the operation of power shift transmissions and transmission control systems.
§ Disassemble and assemble a torque converter, torque divider, manual transmission, and power shift transmission.