CCOG for DST 111 Winter 2022
- Course Number:
- DST 111
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Caterpillar Service Industry
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Identify Catepillar history.
- Identify the Caterpillar product line.
- Explain the Caterpillar dealer factory network and parts system.
- Demonstrate basic safety procedures.
- Demonstrate basic material handling.
- Identify fire protection equipment.
- Follow OSHA and EPA guidelines.
- Perform basic computer literacy skills.
- Perform parts and service procedures using Caterpillar service literature.
- Perform basic Caterpillar industry record keeping practices.
- Use hand and power tools, and precision measuring devices.
- Use various lifting devices in their proper application.
- Demonstrate basic component removal and installation procedures.
- Identify fasteners, fittings, bearings, gaskets, and sealants.
Course Activities and Design
This is an outcome-based course utilizing a lecture / lab format. This course includes videos, assignments, demonstrations, lectures, and hands on learning. Course will be taught using Caterpillar equipment and curriculum.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Multiple choice, true/false, fill in the blank, short answer and essay testing
- Hands-on practical testing
- Daily lab assignments as defined by Caterpillar Curriculum / weekly and term projects
- Work ethics
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Caterpillar Organization and Products
§ Learn Caterpillar history and products
§ Learn Dealer factory network and Caterpillar parts system.
Shop Facilities, Equipment, and Materials
§ Learn shop safety equipment.
§ Learn shop facilities and maintenance equipment.
§ Learn contamination control.
§ Learn hazardous material.
§ Learn OSHA and EPA.
§ Learn basic computer operation.
§ Learn the Service Information System (SIS)
Tools and Maintenance
§ Learn to use and maintain:
Precision Measuring Devices
General Maintenance Procedures
§ Learn and practice personal safety.
§ Learn and practice facility safety.
§ Learn and practice equipment safety.