CCOG for DST 110 Summer 2022
- Course Number:
- DST 110
- Course Title:
- Caterpillar Engine Fundamentals
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course student will be able to:
- Identify the wide range of engines in the Caterpillar product line.
- Identify various diesel engine applications and basic engine theory.
- Define engine performance terms.
- Identify basic diesel engine components and their function.
- Describe the following engine systems:
- Air intake and exhaust systems,
- Lubrication system,
- Cooling system,
- Fuel system and governor.
- Disassemble and reassemble a Caterpillar 3406 diesel engine with a mechanical governor.
- Explain the operation of the Caterpillar Sleeve Metering Fuel System.
- Explain the operation of the Caterpillar 3116/26 Mechanical Unit Injector Fuel System.
Course Activities and Design
This is an outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes videos, assignments, demonstrations, lectures, and hands on learning. Course will be taught using Caterpillar equipment and curriculum.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
· Multiple choice, true/false, fill in the blank, short answer and essay testing
· Hands-on practical testing
· Daily lab assignments as defined by Caterpillar Curriculum / weekly and term projects
· Work ethics
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
·Introduction to Caterpillar Diesel Engines
·Air Intake and Exhaust Systems
·Lubrication Systems and Oil
·Diesel Fuel and Mechanically Controlled Fuel Systems
·3406 Disassembly and Inspection
· Practice Safety
· Learn and practice personal safety
· Learn and practice facility safety
· Learn and practice equipment safety