CCOG for DS 203 Fall 2023
- Course Number:
- DS 203
- Course Title:
- Fuel Injection System Diagnostics & Cat Elect Eng Controls
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This is an outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format and includes videos, written assignments, demonstrations, lectures and hands on learning. It prepares the student to confidently diagnose and repair diesel fuel injection pumps, governors and Caterpillar electronics in an industrial environment.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Apply fuel injection systems knowledge to engine applications for maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Competently diagnose, repair and program Caterpillar electronic engine controls.
- Research and locate industry repair literature.
- Research a company and analyze the advantages and disadvantages of employment with the company.
- Use protective gear and safe procedures in all work areas.
Course Activities and Design
- Disassemble test and reassemble fuel injection pumps and governors
- Test diesel engines for fuel system malfunctions
- Diagnose, repair and program Caterpillar electronic engines.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written multiple choice, true/false and short answer tests.
- Hands on practical tests.
- Daily/weekly/term project portfolio.
- Work ethics
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Develop skills to disassemble, inspect, reassemble and test fuel injection pumps and governors and understand the relationship between component failure and engine operation.
Learn fuel injection pumps and governors.
Learn the tools necessary to diagnose and repair fuel injection pumps and governors.
Learn the relationship between failed fuel system components and engine operation.
Develop skills to diagnose, repair and Program Caterpillar electronic engines.
Learn to diagnose, repair and program Caterpillar electronic engines.
Learn to use Caterpillar electronic tooling and software.
Learn to use Caterpillar service literature.
Develop skills in diesel fuel injection pump and governor failure diagnosis.
Learn to recognize failures and their causes.
Learn the resources available to the technician for research and failure identification.
Learn to properly evaluate a failure to find the reason for the failure.
Knowledge of exhaust emission controls.
Learn chemistry involved in exhaust emission conversions.
Learn exhaust after-treatment operation and service.
Troubleshoot exhaust after-treatment failures.
Practice personal safety.
Learn and practice personal safety by wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Learn and practice shop cleanliness.
Learn and practice tool maintenance and safety.