CCOG for DS 106 Fall 2022
- Course Number:
- DS 106
- Course Title:
- PMI/Detroit Diesel Electronic Control
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
Addendum to Course Description
This is an outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format and includes videos, written assignments, demonstrations, lectures, and hands on learning. It prepares the student to confidently diagnose and tune-up a diesel engine in an industrial environment.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Apply knowledge of diesel engine diagnostic tune up.
- Analyze and diagnose diesel engines support systems.
- Apply working knowledge about the tools and materials needed to properly analyze and tune up diesel engines.
- Use protective gear and safe procedures in all work areas.
Course Activities and Design
- Properly conduct a performance evaluation and tune-up of a diesel engine.
- Use Department Of Transportation inspection forms to evaluate vehicle condition.
- Learn proper use and care of tune up and inspection tools.
- Demonstrate safe work procedures.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written multiple choice, true/false and short answer tests.
- Hands on practical tests.
- Daily/weekly/term project portfolio.
- Work ethics.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Theory of Engine Operation.
Develop knowledge and an understanding of basic operation and development of diesel engines.
Learn engine systems & troubleshooting.
Learn about engine lube, cooling, fuel, exhaust and induction systems.
Diesel Engine Tune-up.
Develop knowledge and an understanding of diesel engine tune-up.
Diesel Engine Diagnostics.
Develop knowledge and an understanding of diesel engine troubleshooting.
Learn how to complete a DOT inspection.
Learn how to complete a Preventive Maintenance inspection.
PM Scheduling and Servicing.
Learn how to perform a vehicle Preventative Maintenance schedule and service.
DDEC System and Diagnostics.
Learn to adjust valves and injectors.
Learn to use service literature.
Learn to use diagnostics software.
Learn controls & components.
Perform system testing and diagnostics.
Practice personal safety.
Learn and practice personal safety by wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Learn and practice shop cleanliness.
Learn and practice tool maintenance and safety.